Thursday 3 December 2015

Flying solo

Taj Mahal in the Rain.

I've cut loose, I'm fancy free, and I'm travelling solo. I haven't really had any time on my own since I began this adventure in Chennai back in September. Those of you who know me well know how much I need a bit of me time. Some how India has been crazy enough that actually you need someone there to witness it along side you, I was very lucky to have Anna, Paddy and Tom (amongst others) to share the ridiculousness of it all, but now I'm setting off alone, I know I need to write some concluding words about the school and finding myself etc, but I am popping back at the weekend for a theatre performance and Christmas party, so maybe I'll do it after that?!!

First stop Taj Mahal, in the style of Princess Diana I have been perfecting my lost, lonely and wistful poses, what could be more perfect for a young lady on her own!

Now train travel,in India can be confusing at the best of times. Purchasing an actual ticket instead of being wait listed is your first hurdle, but I managed that on the way to Agra. I made it to the correct station  (Delhi has at least 15..) and found the platform. The board said there was one train due to depart before mine so I stood on the platform, I had 25 minutes until departure so drank some Chai. People were bustling around, carrying packages, loading linen and food. Porters carried 2 and 3 suitcases across the station on their heads, so much to watch.

The train in front of me moved nowhere. People were getting on,  saying goodbye to loved ones, making themselves comfortable folding out blankets and eating samosas straight from the newspaper they we wrapped in.  It was 10 minutes until my train departed, no problem, there''s loads of time for this training  to leave,  and mine to arrive.....isn'the there? I look at the board, no platform change.....I ask the train guard....'Ma'am this is the train to Agra'. I'very only been watching it for half an hour, and now in a panic get on the wrong carriage, walk through that carriage and get off at the other side. Run down the platform towards my carriage.....the train starts to move, albeit slowly, so I jump back on through the next door, and walk through the rest of the train to find my berth. Fortunately no one else is in it, so I catch my breath and make myself comfortable!

I get to Agra and am immediately befriended by VK the tuk-tuk driver, once again reminding me that solo travelling is never a lonely experience. For the bargain price of 500rupees he is my tour guide for the day, and so we set off in a massive down pour to drop my bags at the hostel and then see the tomb of Mumtaz Mahal in the Taj Mahal, lying peacefully next to her husband Shah Jahan.

It meets all expectations, even on this slightly grey and drizzly day it is an equisite sight to behold. Younhave to see it to believe it, and even then it doesn't look real, and to think they built it so long ago. Lots of maintenance is happening to it, and in India they still use Bamboo as scaffolding, it does make you wonder if that's how the whole beautiful thing were created back in the day...??









No comments:

Post a Comment